Friday, September 11, 2020

My Covid Information Source

At the beginning of the Covid pandemic, I turned to the news to inform me on the pandemic, and any information that I needed. As time went on, I noticed that Covid started to become politicalized, and information shared was different depending on where you got it from. Once this happened, I took a break from listening to "Covid news". This was probably not the best decision because I was very uninformed about what the cases looked like, both in the US and globally, but I also was not staying updated on any new symptoms are precautions. My parents usually watch the same news outlet that I watch, so our information was the same. I do not trust social media, especially social media posts that teenagers post. Most of their posts about Covid are emotional, and promote something we should or shouldn't be doing. Instead of posting factual information about case numbers, deaths, or news about a vaccine, most people of my generation fight about the usage of masks, where to get trendy masks from, or if they even think the pandemic is real or not (yes, I did see a lot of posts claiming that the pandemic is made up). This whirlwind of information is worse than the actual pandemic itself. Causing mass panic and hysteria is not the way to go about a global pandemic, and will not make the stressful and tight situations we all have experienced any easier. The pandemic is dangerous; it's contagious and can seriously affect those who have compromised immune systems. If someone sees multiple posts claiming that it's not real, they might be inclined to participate in high risk activities, become infected, and prolong the pandemic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Covid Inn" - Living in the Isolation Dorm

  After a month of staying at UK, I finally tested positive for Covid-19. When I tested positive for the coronavirus, I was not able to go h...